How to Search the Best SEO Keywords for Your Website in 2017
by Fervil Von
(Updated January 5, 2017)
In SEO, every marketing plan starts with an extensive website audit and keyword research.
Keyword research plays a very important role on getting hefty traffic to your site but the secret to success is not just acquiring ‘traffic’, the real deal is getting lots of targeted traffic that converts.
As you may know, a good keyword research is the foundation of a successful SEO strategy.
Without good keywords, all of your hard work writing SEO-friendly content, on-page SEO, link building and the like will be much less effective and, in some cases maybe even fruitless.
Keyword research is more than picking out some bunch of keywords and key phrases.
It requires gaining insight into patterns and searcher intent.
Before we delve into the keyword search tricks, it’s also important to determine what type of keywords you should be looking for.
Share this Image on Your Site
4 Important Things To Consider In Searching Keywords
Broader keywords mean having a huge chunk of traffic that are less relevant to your content.
Most common problems that occur in broader keyword are stiff competition and low quality hits.
In order to balance things, you need to get those searchers which are interested in the content you are offering.
It’s not how many visitors go to your site, it’s how many actually buy your offer.
It’s fairly important for you to identify keywords that are most relevant to your site’s content.
The more specific you are with your keywords, the higher your chance of converting its traffic into leads and sales – that’s targeted traffic.
Your website is the complete representation of your business online.
It will run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for you.
However, having a very good website with zero traffic is futile.
Nevertheless, you just don’t want to get any traffic but targeted website traffic – a traffic that converts potential sales.
Increase in targeted traffic significantly increases your opportunity in getting more income.
One of the most neglected pillar in assessing keywords.
The “competition” part is where most of webmasters, even SEO’s, are failing to comply.
It’s quite easy to nitpick search terms in the Google Keyword Planner once you throw in some keyword ideas but this is one of the most common flaw in performing keyword research.
Let’s just say that most of the people who are using the same tool are also doing the same thing.
Let us suppose that you already have a keyword that’s relevant to your content and has high level of traffic with acceptable level of competition.
You optimize your page for this particular keyword and got your page ranked in first spot.
Since you are ranking in top spot of Google, your web page will get a large number of daily visitors.
The only problem there is… no one seems to be buying anything. 🙁
This type of problem would arise if you have mistakenly targeted a keyword with low profitability level.
Therefore, considering the profitability of the keyword you are targeting is practical.
Keyword Research Tips and Tricks in 2017
I actually covered a lot of ideas in performing keyword mapping and keyword research which I also shared in the GDI SEO training camp few years ago.
You can actually check out my slide presentation about keyword and niche researching here:
How To Discover Golden Keywords Using Google
You may not know it yet but Google actually made it easier for you to spot keywords with good traffic and conversion.
- Type in the keyword idea in the Google search bar. In this particular example, I’ve search for the term “bespoke suit” as my keyword idea for researching more keywords.
- After the results have showed up in my searches. I just hovered down into the bottom of the results.
- The related searches of bespoke suits appeared:
- I copy-pasted the related results and placed them in the keyword planner to check their traffic, competition and commerciality.
- Found out that some of the keywords have good volume of traffic but the competition is medium to high. I could keep these keywords too but I would likely need to have some keyword list where I have good chances in landing a spot in first page.
- I went on the keyword ideas and sorted them according to competition (least to highest). Then I went digging on keywords with high adwords bid + good traffic.
Keyword Discovery Using Amazon
Ever heard of the phrase “following the money”?
If you are trying to start making money online with the help of affiliate marketing, Amazon is one of the best go-to website to get some profitable keywords for your affiliate website.
Using the Amazon as part of your strategy in keyword research is a must-try.
By simply going over to Amazon best sellers, you will definitely have a feel on what product to promote.
Once you get the product you have chosen, you can copy the entire name of the product and paste it in Google Keyword Planner.
Similar results will show up and you can play with it a little bit.
Getting The Golden Keywords Of Your Competitor Sites
#1 Pagesource Meta-date: Title and Keywords
You can easily spot keywords your competitors are targeting by going directly to their optimized pages.
- Browse the homepage or any page of your competitor site that you wish to check
- Once the page loads up, hold Ctrl + U. This will lead you to the page source.
- hold Ctrl + F (find) and search for “title” or “keywords”. You will see something similar to this image:
You can now check the stats of the keywords your competitor site is using with the help of Google Keyword Planner.
#2 Throwing The URL of Your Competitor Site in Google Keyword Planner
Simply copy the URL of your competitor site and paste it in Google Keyword Planner (GKP).
Recommended keyword search tools:
- Google Keyword Planner (free) – this is the best free keyword tool you should be using. All you need to do is sign in with your Google account and start placing the key terms you wish to check (traffic, competition, profitability). I personally use this tool in my keyword research campaigns.
- Soovle (free) – this is an amazing keyword research tool that would give relevant keywords from Google, Yahoo, Bing, Youtube, Wikipedia, Amazon, and Answers.com. Just place the keyword you wish to check on the search bar and it will show the results of relevant keywords.
- Market Samurai (free trial) – one of the tools I highly recommend on using. I personally use this one on my keyword research campaigns.
- Long Tail Pro (free 10-day trial) – this tool is one of the many favorites of top SEO’s in getting good traffic long tail keywords.
- Ubersuggest (free) – this keyword suggestion tool helps you get a lot of keyword ideas which covers your keyword + terms from A to Z
- Word tracker (free) – will display a list of 100 keywords. You may need to create an account though.
- SEMrush (free and premium) – I personally use this tool to scout the leading keywords which gives more profit to my competitor sites.
Keyword researching is not limited to all the things I mentioned above.
There are still more keyword discovery tricks out there.
By being creative and sharp, you may be able to pick a bunch of keywords that could potentially kick-start your passive income online.
Do you have any search tools and keyword research techniques in 2017 that you wish to share?
Feel free to post them in the comments! 🙂
November 3, 2016